Sweet Potato Egg Nests
I can't be the only one who gets out of bed WAY faster if I know I have something delicious planned for breakfast, right?
I've learned over the past few years that the more meal prep I do at the beginning of the week, the easier it is for me to stay on track and stop myself from snacking all day long. I've also learned that if I don't plan something for breakfast, I will eat toast with peanut butter - every.single.day. So, here's where these egg nests come in. They come together quickly, and I love playing around with different ingredients in the fillings to mix up the flavors! In the mornings, I just have to pull a couple out of the fridge, heat them up and I've got a healthy, balanced breakfast to set me on the right track for the day.
Key Ingredient Benefits:
Sweet Potato: high fiber, contribute to healthy teeth and gums, promote rapid wound healing. They can help to reduce the risk of cancer, and are high in carbohydrates that trigger the production of serotonin
Eggs: high in protein and important vitamins, including A, E, B6, B12, iron and folate. A good source of HDL (good cholesterol), and promote healthy eyes
Here's the recipe!
1 medium sweet potato
3 tsp. coconut oil, melted
2 tsp. paprika
2/3 cup milk of choice (I use homemade almond milk)
Veggies & herbs of choice (I always mix them up, but keep it to only 2 or 3)
2/3 cup feta cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line muffin tin with paper wrappers
2. Wash and peel the sweet potato. Cut the ends off, and use a stand grater to grate.
3. Wrap grated sweet potato in paper towel and squeeze out excess liquid
4. Stir in melted coconut oil, salt, pepper and paprika to coat
5. Spoon sweet potato into muffin tins, pressing down into each one (about 1-2 tbsp. per)
6. Bake for 7 minutes
7. Meanwhile, chop all vegetables and saute for 5 minutes in a frying pan to soften
8. In a large bowl, add eggs and milk. Season with pepper
9. Add sauteed vegetables to egg mixture and add cheese if using
10. Once the sweet potato bases have cooked for 7 minutes, evenly distribute egg mixture to cups and bake for 18-20 minutes until eggs have set
Allow to cool completely before storing in air-tight container in fridge.